Negotiating is one of the best ways to save money. However, most Americans don’t know how to do it. You’d be surprised by the number of things you can negotiate. While you’ll probably have a hard time negotiating the price of a candy bar at the local supermarket, you should negotiate for big ticket purchases like major appliances, computers, and cars.
Donald Trump in the Experts Guide to 100 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do gives 1o tips on how to improve your negotiating ability. I think it’s safe to say that The Donald is an expert at negotiating. He’s made his fortune from negotiating.
- Know exactly what you want, and focus on that.
- View any conflict as an opportunity. This will expand your mind as well as your horizons.
- Know that your negotiating partner may well have exactly the same goals as you do. Do not underestimate them.
- Patience is an enormous virtue and needs to be cultivated for successful negotiation on any level.
- Realize that quiet persistence can go a long way. Being stubborn is often an attribute. The key is to know when to loosen up.
- Remain optimistic at all times. Practice positive thinking.
- Let your guard down, but only on purpose. Watch how your negotiating partners respond.
- Be open to change- it’s another word for innovation.
- Trust your instincts, even after you’ve honed your skills. They’re there for a reason.
- Negotiation is an art. Treat it like one.
If you enjoyed this post, then make sure to subscribe to my RSS Feed.
[tags]negotiating, frugal, Donald Trump[/tags]