A while back ago, I asked for reader help on what to do with my wife’s and I’s side business, Kate’s Calendars. I got some great feedback from several of my readers. One of the things I decided to do was revamp the Kate’s Calendars site. Because I’ve fallen in love with WordPress ever since I made the switch from Blogger, I decided to create the Kate’s Calendars store using the WordPress format. It took me all day Saturday, but that was due mainly to looking for plugins that will help. I thought I’d give back to the WordPress community by showing how they can easily create an online store with WordPress in less than 30 minutes. I have all the links and steps you’ll need to create an online store in less than 30 minutes.
- Downloand and install the WP E-Commerce plugin. This is the backbone of your WordPress online store. It’s really slick and really robust. The WP E-Commerce plugin allows you to easily create product pages, an online order form, and a cool shopping cart.
- Setup WP E-Commerce. Click on “Shop Options” in the WP E-Commerce Plugin and fill out the necessary info. You’ll have to enter which country you’re selling in, which currancy you’ll be using on your site, and other such information.
- Open PayPal account. If you don’t have a PayPal account, open one up now. You’ll need it to take care of online transactions.
- Set Gateway Options to PayPal. Under “Gateway options” in the WP E-Commerce Plugin, select PayPal. You’ll need to enter in your account info.
- Download WP-Email Plugin. This plugin allows customers to refer your product to your friends. Viral marketing at it’s finest.
- Create static front page. Instead of using posts, you’ll be using pages in your online store. Create a static front page for your store by going to your WP dashboard—>Options—>Reading Options and select “static page.” Select which page you’ll use for your static page.
- Create a Contact page. This is essential. Make it easy for your customers to reach you.
There you go. You now have an online store. Now get out there and market it.
If you enjoyed this post, then make sure to subscribe to my RSS Feed to get daily updates.
Many companies have had great success with Online Stores and other companies like PriceGrabber have made their fortune by creating Shopping Feeds that allow consumers to compare and contrast prices on various items they are Shopping for.